Sunday, November 13, 2011

That time of year


It's that time of year again.

Deer season.

My man is way excited.

It's crazy to think that in old times husbands actually had to kill animals for their families' livelihoods. Nowadays it's a bit of sport and necessity mixed together. The guys butcher the deer themselves and we eat the venison meat all throughout the year. It really does taste amazing, if I may add.

Since being overseas for two years my husband missed out on this opportunity. That's why this year is truly special. I think it's awesome that he gets to bond with his Dad and brothers and also get some good quality alone time with Father out in the wilderness.

But I will miss him.

It's weird though, how much more we appreciate life after living in a hard place. So many people complain about trivial things here, or think their lives are so hard. We're just thankful to see green grass and go through a Walmart isle. I don't know when this honeymoon stage of thankfulness will wear off... and to be honest I hope it never does.

I am more thankful this year than ever before. Not necessarily that we moved back to America, but just thankful for the blessings we have in this country. I think everyone from Western countries should travel to a poor country at least once in their lives. One time is all it takes to open your eyes to the horrors of poverty. All it takes is one time to open your eyes to the everyday blessings we take for granted in this country.

I am so overwhelmed with emotions lately. Maybe it's a mix of pregnancy hormones and culture shock, I'm not sure. But either way, this Thanksgiving season means more to me than it ever has before.

I challenge you to do something for someone else this Thanksgiving season. Something hard and out of your comfort zone. Something that matters to someone else. Something sacrificial. For when we look outside ourselves, we realize that it's not about us, it's about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment