Friday, April 1, 2011

Giggles at the orphanage

I was finally able to visit the baby orphanage again - it's only been a few weeks but it seemed like eternity to me. My little munchkins grow up when I don't see them and I notice the little changes when I return. I feel like a surrogate mamma who applauds every step, every "first" anything, every teensy-tiny little accomplishment for these sweet angels.

Since I've been away, Baby K's hair grew an inch or so and it's starting to curl! *Eeek!* She's so incredibly precious. I wish you could meet her. They even dressed her in a frilly pink shirt, so now she's actually starting to look like a girl. Before, her hair was so short and her clothes were so plain. That's why I thought she was a boy at first. I cuddled her in my lap today while she happily played with the toys.

*Note: I don't think I've mentioned this before, but the babies only get to play with the toys when we come to visit. These toys have been donated by ladies like us, and when we leave them unattended while we're gone, they somehow "disappear" and never return. Instead we just lock the toys up and bring them out when we come, so the children are ecstatic to play with them!

I kept playing with her new soft curly hair and wished she was my own child. I wish I could decorate her hair with beautiful pink bows and ribbons. I wish I could rock her in my arms to sleep whenever I wished. You see, when we hold the babies, the workers kindly remind us to please put the children down to play instead. We wait about 5 minutes, then we slowly bring them back into our laps until we're gently scolded once again. She started crying for no reason when she was on the floor at one point, so I figured she was tired and needed a snuggle. I bravely scooped her up and rocked her in my arms and smiled into her eyes until she quieted down. The workers didn't tell me to put her down, so I was extremely thankful for that small window of time we had together.

Proverbs 17:22 says: "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Laughing is good for the soul. I've read some articles in the past about how laughing causes endorphins to be released in the brain, which lowers stress levels, which in turn is good for long-term brain health. Even if we help these babies to giggle a few times a week, I feel like that somehow makes a difference, albeit even a small one.

One happy thing and two sad things. Happy thing: A little boy was supposedly adopted out to a local family recently (which is why, the workers told us, he wasn't there). Sad thing: A different little boy was dropped off at the baby house for the first time because his family can't afford him any longer. He still has siblings left at home. He was absolutely miserable with tears in his eyes. Second sad thing: There wasn't any meat or potatoes in the babies' food today. It was only rice, bread, and spices. I was horrified and angry. Somebody high-up is pocketing that "food money" for themselves. Oooooh I could just SCREAM! Next time I am bringing something healthy for the children to eat. (But I don't want them to keep pocketing that money because we're bringing food. I don't want to start that cycle. It's tricky...)

It's a never ending emotional roller-coaster ride when I go to the baby house. I'm not gonna lie, it's heartbreaking and difficult. But these children have changed me. They've changed they way I see life, my daughter, everything. When I look into their eyes, I see the ones who will be closest to Father in eternity. Those who unashamedly took advantage of them in this life will receive their due punishment. But I take heart knowing that Father, in time, will pour out His mercy and justice for these little ones. If not in this life, then in the next. Matthew 20:16 states: "So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Will you please continue praying with us that adoption will open up in this country? One of my friends was denied the child she's been waiting so long for. Another friend is in the process hoping she will get a child. We are watching to see how this all unfolds, waiting, praying, and hoping the doors fling open wide for these precious angels to find their future families.

Baby K is growing up, and her biological family is missing out. I don't know their circumstances and I won't judge. But what I do know is that they are missing out on watching her grow into a beautiful princess. She is a daughter of the King, and she is loved.

Here are some pictures of the disabilities orphanage an hour outside of town. I can't take pictures of the baby house, but I thought these pictures from a different orphanage would still be good for you to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment