Saturday, June 15, 2013

Amish friends

Today we visited my Amish friends. Oh how I wish I could snap photos to show you how darling their children are and how simple and sweet their land is. But I guess you'll just have to use your imagination :)

My friend owns her own business on top of running the family farm with her husband (on top of raising all her children!) We stopped over to buy some flowers and maple syrup. When we drove up they were working in the fields planting onions. The rain has been never ending up here, and anyone wanting to plant has been chomping at the bit. We finally have had a few days of sunshine - thankfully! I could see they were hard at work and I didn't want to bother her for very long (but I really just wanted to talk forever and learn more about their lives!) She gave me a hearty smile and assured me that it was her job to run the business and would love to chat. Some of the smaller children crowded around the greenhouse and watched us with wide eyes. Their bonnets and homemade blue clothes were just adorable. The little girls had dresses that matched their mother's. The youngest baby had a cute little bandana type hat on- so cute in fact that at first glance I thought he was a girl. My friend reminded me that he was named after his father, and I was glad she said that before I accidentally asked what "her" name was :) Two of her other sons then came riding in the buggy up the driveway bringing hay for the horses. It was neat to watch the young boys taking on such a task. My friend's husband also came over to say hello and talk for a while. He's a very kind, hardworking man.

One of her sons was playing on a wooden rocking horse on the grass- it looked like a scene from a movie. So precious! After chatting for a while and buying some items from her store, we walked over to the horses and pet them for a bit before her teenage son walked them into the horse stalls. I asked the young man what their names were and he replied with a shy smile, "Toby and Trixy."

When we drove away everyone waved goodbye from the fields planting their onions. It really is a dream come true for me to have Amish friends. Although we have different beliefs, I enjoy our friendship and ability to learn from one another. I look forward to going over to their farm more often and giving my children the opportunity to learn from their lives. Maybe she could teach me a thing or two about, well, everything!

Insert really awesome picture of the Amish family here :)

1 comment: