Thursday, June 7, 2012

Props from scratch

This week is VBS. The churches in our town work together to make it happen- which is incredible. I love how it's not all the churches doing their own thing. All the pastors take turns doing the bible story everyday, so yesterday was "our day".

We found out our car was fixed a few days ago, so we decided to drive back to where we lived before (4 1/2 hours away) to pick it up, then drive back home (total of 9 hours). With two kids. In one day. Yes, we are that crazy.

On our way back home SuperDan stopped at Wal-Mart and the dollar store looking for props he needed for our story. No such luck. It was getting late and I just wanted to get back on the road, so I offered to make the props.

We arrived back to our cabin around 12:30am. I stayed up until 2:30am making a sword, shield, and crown of thorns from scratch. It's amazing what you can make when you are desperate. Think of all the money we saved, right? I was laughing at myself as the clocked ticked away. "I am going to be way tired tomorrow," I kept saying.

The alarm went off at 7:00am that morning. According to my awesome math skills, that means I got 4 1/2 hours of sleep. Wow.

Got the kids up and dressed, drove for 45 minutes to reach town. Practiced the skit in the car. Sitora asked what we were doing. We explained Daddy was teaching for VBS and needed to practice. She cried, "No Daddy! I already have my own teacher!" We laughed as we replied that he was teaching for the older classes. She's only 3 years old and yet she already doesn't want us as her teacher. Someone is Miss Independent!

We arrived at VBS. Sent Sitora to her class, got ready to teach ours. Ready. Set. Go.

Danny read his script will Peter and I hid behind the piano. I did all the sound effects and threw the sword and shield over the piano for shock effect (the soldiers are coming!) The kids all gasped then laughed when they realized I was hiding back there. Then they all wanted to come see who I was. It was really cute :) One girl came bouncing back into the room after her group had already left. She said, "You really scared us!" and giggled as she ran back out. We are glad we kept the kids on their toes so that the story time wasn't boring.

On our long 45 minute drive home I nearly passed out from exhaustion. SuperDan had to go back to town for a board meeting so it was just me and the kiddos. I was excited to put the kids down for a nap so I could sleep myself. Just as I was putting Peter down he threw up all over himself. Nooooo!!! Nap delayed.

I had to give little man a bath and then of course the little princess wanted one too. Nap delayed again. I could feel my eyelids collapsing. Finally everyone was clean and dressed ready for sleepytime. We all slept from 3:30-6:00pm. Glorious. Just glorious. Then of course I was ready for bed again by 10:00pm. Sleep is like gold to me. Very precious indeed.

It's been a crazy past few days, but we got through it alive and well. We are enjoying settling into our new lives. If all goes well we will soon have news of a new house to share with you! :)

I can't wait to hear what Sitora learned in VBS today. She loves it. Apparently the teacher told me she is the most extroverted child in class and is a great example to the others of how to participate. Not surprising at all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment