Monday, June 6, 2011

Corrie Ten Boom

Have you read the book "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom? If not, you should.

I've been wanting to read this book for years. But Father knew that this was the time in my life I should read it. Of all the years of my life, this has been one of the hardest. And that is the reason reading this book now was in perfect timing.

SuperDan is on an audio book kick. He's been buying/downloading books, sermons, and all kinds of things for us to listen to. He figures he will read more this way- since he isn't the type to sit down and read a book. He went on a long five hour journey this past weekend to the countryside, and listening to these audio tracks was the perfect solution for what could have been a boring ride.

He downloaded "The Hiding Place" a few months ago, but I never paid much attention to it. All of a sudden about four days ago, I had a prompting from Father to start listening. It was quite simply really. Just turn it on while washing dishes, exercising, and cleaning, and let my heart melt with compassion, humility, and tenderness as Corrie's life touched my aching soul.

If I have ever complained about my life, I did so honestly feeling that life had been unfair and unkind to me. But after reading this book, I am dumbfounded in my selfishness. My life is a gift. Every single minute of it. Who am I to punch my fist in the air and shout accusations of frustration to the Father who holds the stars in His hands? He alone knows my destiny, and I will trust Him in any circumstance.

Reading about Corrie and her dear sister Betsy in the work camps of Germany ripped my heart to shreds. Here they were, suffering unimaginably, and yet they chose to thank Father in all circumstances. They were grateful to Father that their barracks had fleas, so that they were able to share the Scriptures with their fellow inmates without the guards coming in. The guards were afraid of the flea infestation, so they never entered the room to discover the secret meeting taking place daily. Oh how I long for the heart of Corrie and Betsy! I am not sure if I would have been as strong and loving as they. Oh how I long for compassion and forgiveness.

My heart is tender, yet once again, and I am thankful to my Father for everything in my life now, be it good or bad. Give thanks in all circumstances. The Bible says, "all" not "some". And this I will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment