Saturday, March 5, 2011

Epiphany- not Tiffany

The other day I was cooking dinner in the kitchen while Danny was watching Sitora in the living room. When I cook, I think. A lot. While the food is simmering in the pot, my own mind itself is brewing. I think cooking and laundry are very therapeutic for women. We don't have to talk to anyone (unless we're on the phone at the same time, which is totally possible because women can multitask like nobody's business), so we think.

In the midst of all my thoughts it suddenly hit me.

"Danny! I've had an epiphany! Come here, I want to tell you about it!"

"What about Tiffany?"

"No, not Tiffany. EPIPHANY. I had an epiphany, like a spontaneous revelation!"

"What? I can't hear anything you're saying."

Oh well, it was worth a try.

So anyways, I've been having a lot of epiphany's lately. Like most women, I like a bit of control in life. Not too much, but at least some. When circumstances are beyond your control in every way, it's a very vulnerable feeling. As a woman, wife, mother, friend, and mentor, it's nice to have a bit of control over your circumstances. But in our lives, that is rarely the case.

So last night I decided something. I won't have control over my circumstances, that's just a given. But, I do have control over how I react. To think- I actually have control over something! Wow. That is a nice feeling. Someone treats me poorly? I can't control that. But I can decide how I will respond. I can choose to have an uplifting attitude despite it. Something didn't turn out they way we hoped? I can't control that. But I sure can control what I do with the situation from here on out. I can make due with what I've been given, albeit discouraging as it may be.

Is anybody with me on this one? Maybe I'm the only crazy one here, but, seriously this is good stuff.

I had a good little talk with my husband last night. I gave him my lecture speech rendition epiphany about how I am going to make lemonade with lemons. About how I'm not going to let how people treat me or think about me affect my attitude. I am going to do what I know Father's called me to do with the best of my abilities. That's all I can really give. I am who I am. I cannot change my personality, my style, or my passions. Take me as I am. I'm going to hold my head up high knowing I am the daughter of the King. I am beautifully and wonderfully made in His image, and I'm slowly letting Him chip away at all my quirks. Until the day of perfection, I going to press on whole-heartedly being... myself!

So here's to my epiphany. I'll step down from my soap box now... or rather... the bathroom stool.

No comments:

Post a Comment